JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Monday 1 June 2015

BOOK REVIEW - Secrets: The Hero Chronicles by Tim Mettey

Secrets: The Hero Chronicles
Author: Tim Mettey
Genre: YA Fantasy

Book Description:
The Midwest lies in complete ruins after a catastrophic disaster kills tens of thousands and leaves hundreds of thousands injured. Nicholas Keller emerges out of the devastation as a shining light of hope for all. But his newfound fame comes with a price that his aunt will not let him pay. They flee into the shadows in order to protect his secret. However, as Nicholas begins his sophomore year at his fifth school in five years, strange and unexpected things begin to happen. He soon tumbles into a web of doomed love, extraordinary talents and a secret past, which threatens the lives of everyone he cares about. It’s up to Nicholas to confront the truth, even if it means his own death.

Buy Links:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18807588-secrets


MY REVIEW:

This story frustrated me until I got so fed up I gave up. I think what mostly annoyed me was the fact that it had so much potential to be great. It had almost all the compotents it needed to be an enjoyable fantasy story for kids, but it needed better execution and more thought into the actions and motives of its characters to make for a more logical unfolding of the plot. Nicholas was an interesting character but the story didn't do him much justice. Where was that danger he's been running from the past 5 years of his life? The mystery surrounding his ability wasn't exciting because it wasn't really played out and it certainly didn't stand out enough to keep me intrigued. I wanted more. It needed to come alive more. Nicholas has the means to drive the story so allow him to do so. Make him shine a little more so I can feel something for him. I want to know his story but he doesn't even know his own story and he has no aid to pull him along. The plot just needed a little more thought and it needed to be a little more challenging for both the readers and its characters.

I don't want to say I've given up on this series because there is something there. I will give the second book a chance in hopes that it will be more of a satisfying read.

VERDICT:

BRONZE

Award: Bronze

Rating: 1 out of 5 Stars 
Source: Own copy

No comments:

Post a Comment