JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Wednesday 8 January 2014

Author Spotlight - leighleigh17

Stupid Love

Being considered the dumbest girl in school isn't exactly a dream come true for Caroline Miranda. Especially when Bryce Hart, the guy she's been crushing on for the past three years, is a top notch genius. He's good looking, quiet, and smart.

But Caroline soon figures out that appearances aren't everything after she confesses her love, only to be told from the guy himself that he, 'doesn't like stupid girls'.

With a broken heart, Caroline vows to never think about Bryce ever again. But how can she do that when certain circumstances keep pushing them together?






Interview

1. Please tell the readers a bit about yourself.

My name is Taylor, but as a writer I go by Leigh, which happens to be my middle name. I turned sixteen years old on October 31st, and I've been in love with reading and writing ever since I first picked up a book. Before I learned how to read the words on a page, I used to pick up any book and pretend to know what was inside of it, making up my own story based on the cover. I like to think of those moments as a sign of the future for my writing.

2. What types of books do you write?

The most common genre I write is romance, whether it be teen-school romance or fantasy-romance, if I get the idea and keep thinking about it, I'll usually write something on it. I'm also one of those writers who usually get their ideas from something that's actually happened in real life.

3. How many books have you written?

Well, complete wise, one, but it was a short story. How many have I started? About thirty, and one of those is currently two-hundred pages and almost completed. It's something I am planning on trying to get published.

4. What movie and/or book are you looking forward to this year?

I'm a huge fan of the Mortal Instruments series, and I'm really looking forward to the last book coming out. Also the final book to the Tiger's Curse series, which isn't as well known but is overall a really interesting set of novels. I'm kind of looking forward to Divergent, since I read the book. I think that's the only movie I'm looking forward to this year as of right now.

5. What type of books do you enjoy reading?

Anything. And when I say that, I really mean it. Currently, I have almost three-hundred books on my book shelf, and some of them range from 'Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde', 'Pride and Prejudice', the Harry Potter Series, to 'Thirteen Reasons Why'. Usually I like books to have some romance in it, but I'm open to anything that sounds like a good story that's worth telling. 

6. If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you?

That's a really hard question that I always have trouble answering... Well, if there was no technology on said island, I would bring:

1. My bookshelf that has all my books on it (does that count as one thing...?)
2. Water
3. And food. 

7. Are you considering a sequel?

With 'Stupid Love', the book is based off of a really popular story that I first came across while watching a Korean Drama. There have been many forms of that story, such as a Japanese Drama, and even a Taiwanese one, even though it was originally a manga. What I did was take some of the basic points of the story and then twist them in different ways. As for a sequel, there will most likely not be one. However, 'Stupid Love' is the first story from the Drama Jerk Series I'm writing. There will be three, each one based off of another Drama I've seen.

8. What inspired you to become a writer?


I'm not exactly sure what inspired me. When I was younger I was always more creative than my three older brothers, and I would sometimes get this urge to just make something. All through elementary school I recieved awards for some of the short stories I would write, and finally, at the age of eight I realized it was something I really wanted to do. So I started. Only to realize that my writing style, my grammar, just... everything, was awful. Which every writer starts out that way, so I began writing all the time and now here I am. That inspires me most today, I think. The fact that I've come so far already.


Excerpt

"Maybe if you had a little coordination..." he trailed off. My eyes squinted.

"So I'm clumsy, big deal. At least I have a heart," I spat.

"If I didn't have a heart I would be dead."

"Too bad you're not."

"Like you mean that. How would you be able to live without your 'one true love'?" he scoffed, quoting a part of my love letter. My eyes narrowed and the car stopped as we reached the local pizza place. The doors to the van opened and everyone began to get out.

"Wanna bet?" I said. Before Bryce could reply, I lifted my foot and kicked him straight in the chest. The force was so strong and unexpected, that he tumbled backwards out of the car and onto the pavement. The laugh that flew from my lips was loud and obnoxious.

"Hey!" Bryce screamed angrily when he sat upwards. His hair was ruffled and anyone could tell that he was furious. In fact, it was the only emotion I'd ever truly seen on his face.


"Oops," I shrugged, casually.

No comments:

Post a Comment