JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Friday 29 June 2018

BOOK REVIEW: Jake, Lucid Dreamer by David J. Naiman

Jake, Lucid Dreamer
Author: David J. Naiman
Publication Date: May 4th, 2018
Genre: MG Magical Realism

Book Description:
12-year-old Jake has been suppressing his heartbreak over the loss of his mother for the past four years. But his emotions have a way of haunting his dreams and bubbling to the surface when he least expects it. When Jake learns how to take control in his dreams, he becomes a lucid dreamer, and that’s when the battle really heats up.

Using his wits to dodge bullies by day and a nefarious kangaroo hopping ever closer by night, Jake learns about loss, bravery, the power of love, and how you cannot fully heal until you face your greatest fear. This uncompromising novel is a magical yet honest exploration of emotional healing after a devastating loss.

Buy Links:



MY REVIEW

The story is pretty straightforward, and it's a quick read. It explores the trials and tribulations of Jake, a 12 year old who is overcome with the loss of his mother four years ago and also frustrated with just about everything in life - from school bullies to family drama.

Initially, I was very excited to read this book as it sounded very intriguing, and while it started off great, pulling me in right from the get-go and making me feel a lot of compassion for Jake and his family, the story soon started to drag, which made the book seem a lot longer than it actually was. It just felt as though I was experiencing the same incidents again and again without much development. There were some beautiful moments where I felt very connected with the character, and then the story would lose my interest, and I would disengage from it.

I think the biggest problem for me was that the character felt as though he was lacking a purpose - a goal, so to speak. I loved Jake as a character. He was likable and flawed. I liked how he handled the struggles that came his way. Some good lessons to be learned here. As a character, Jake had potential to grow, which made me want to know more about him. Unfortunately, I wasn't too much of a fan of the plot. Certain situations were extended for too long and Jake never seemed to drive the story. He merely appeared to be going through the motions.

Despite me not enjoying the story much, I did enjoy the author's writing style. I thought he brought out the characters' emotions effectively, and I certainly felt a connection to Jake and his family.

I wanted to love the story as much as I loved Jake, but it just wasn't meant to be. It was still an okay read.

VERDICT


Award: Silver
Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars
Source: Author

No comments:

Post a Comment