JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Friday 11 January 2019

BOOK REVIEW: Spine Chillers by Q.L. Pearce

Spine Chillers
Author: Q.L. Pearce
Genre: MG Horror / Paranormal / Short Stories
Publication Date: October 23rd, 2016

Book Description:
The town of Saltlick Bluff is famous for an urban legend. Does the spirit of a young girl wait on a misty cliff-hugging highway for her ride to the prom?

In the house on Beech Street a terrible tragedy occurred. Now neighbors won’t look at the place as they pass. Those who live nearby draw their blinds and shutter their windows after dark. What are they afraid of?

Hale Hallow Woods seems sinister and menacing even in the light of day. Does a thirst for revenge beat near its dark heart?

The answers lie within these pages, just waiting to send a chill up your spine!

Buy Links:



MY REVIEW

Spine Chillers was definitely more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. I love a good blend of paranormal and horror and Pearce doesn't disappoint when it comes to spooking her readers. Albeit this book is targeted at young readers, it's one that can be enjoyed by the whole family - not too scary for the young and not too cheesy for the old. Though there were some nice twists and turns in some of the stories, I was able to forsee the ending for a few of them, which hindered the element of surprise for me. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed the stories enough to feel a sense of satistifaction in how they played out.

There is a recurring theme in many of the stories of characters getting their just deserts, which was rather refreshing. Honestly, I would say there were three stories that stuck in my mind and that I thoroughly enjoyed and those were The House on Beech Street, Seaworthy and Prom Date.

Overall, these were some good tales. Not as scary as I would have liked them to be, but I liked the plot and characterisation for most of them. I also liked the creativity and imagination behind a few of the stories. I would recommend a good editor as I did notice numerous grammatical errors. It was an enjoyable read.

VERDICT


Award: Silver
Rating: 3 Stars
Source: Book Sirens

No comments:

Post a Comment