JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Tuesday 30 April 2019

BOOK REVIEW: Ethereal by Addison Moore

Ethereal
(Celestra Series Book 1)
Author: Addison Moore
Publication Date: June 3rd, 2014
Genre: YA Fantasy

Book Description:
Sixteen year-old, Skyla Messenger is a dead girl walking. When her newly remarried mother moves the family to Paragon Island, to a house that is rumored to be haunted, Skyla finds refuge in Logan Oliver, a boy who shares her unique ability to read minds. Skyla discovers Logan holds the answers to the questions she’s been looking for, but his reluctance to give her the knowledge she desires leaves her believing Logan has a few secrets of his own. Skyla’s bloodlines may just be connected to the most powerful angelic beings that roam the earth, and the more she knows, the more danger she seems to be in. Suddenly an entire faction of earthbound angels want her dead, but Skyla is nowhere near done living—and she's not going down without a fight. It's on.

Buy Links:



MY REVIEW

16-year-old Skyla Messenger and her family just moved to town for a new start, but, unbeknownst to her, the only thing that awaits her is danger and death. Her new house happens to be haunted by a dead girl named Chloe, whose life Skyla soon starts to emulate, starting with becoming best friends with Chloe's best friend, Brielle, and then engaging in a useless love triangle with the same cousins Chloe had a love triangle with, Logan and Gage. On top of all the excitement in her life, Skyla has a major secret: she can read minds. And she isn't the only special person in town. Her new love interest, Logan, can also read minds. It turns out there's a lot more to Skyla than meets the eye. This sounds like an interesting story, I know. Unfortunately, I didn't care enough about the character or her story to finish the book.

I will not shy away from the fact that I did not like this book. There was a complete lack of structure; characters bahaving in certain manner without explanation made for an inconsistence story. The characters actions did not inform the plot, so I ended up not caring for Skyla or her story. There was no depth to her character whatsoever. About three chapters in, I predicted this was not going to be the book for me, and I was more than right. I got so frustrated with the illogical, clumsy plot and unlikeable characters that I stopped halfway through. While I hadn't read the reviews prior to delving into the story, I did see the high ratings, thus I anticipated a good read. Obviously, I was wrong, which was disappointing as it had all the ingredients to be a good story; it just wasn't executed well.

As I stated, this could have been a good book, but there was just far too much focus on the sexual attraction between Skyla and Logan and Skyla and Gage that the plot suffered greatly.

VERDICT


Award: Bronze
Rating: 1 out of 5 Stars
Source: own copy

No comments:

Post a Comment