JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Wednesday 6 February 2019

BOOK REVIEW: Hope for Garbage by Alex Tully

Hope for Garbage
Author: Alex Tully

Book Description:
Welcome to the cruel world of Trevor McNulty. No matter how hard he tries, this seventeen year-old just can’t get a break. Through no fault of his own, he finds himself living with his alcoholic uncle on the outskirts of Cleveland. His days are filled with garbage-picking and hanging out with his seventy year-old neighbor, who also happens to be his best friend.

One early morning while scanning the streets in a wealthy suburb, he meets Bea, a rebellious rich girl with problems of her own. She’s smart, cute, and a glimmer of light in his dark world.

But in the midst of their budding romance, Bea’s beautiful mother enters the picture with an agenda of her own. She sets off a chain of events so shocking and destructive, Trevor's crazy life soon becomes more than he can handle. While he is desperate to save his relationship with Bea, he learns that nothing in his world can be saved unless he first saves himself.

Hope for Garbage is a story about resilience—about overcoming adversity under the most extraordinary circumstances—about never, ever, giving up hope.

Because sooner or later, everybody gets a break.

Buy Links:



MY REVIEW

Trevor hasn't had the greatest start in life, his only comfort being his 70-year-old neighbour, Mr T, who also happens to be his best friend, and the box (his garage where he restores people's trash). Trevor is a kid with a passion, seeking solace from his tumultous life. This book sounded like just the thing I needed to revitalise my passion for reading. Unfortunately, it wasn't the book for me.

I tried my hardest to love this book (giving it three attempts), but in the end, it just wasn't meant to be. I was so disappointed with the story that I gave up and refused to finish it. Honestly, the only characters I liked were Trevor and Mr T. This story should have been told solely from Trevor's POV. It would have made more of an impact on me. I have to say, while the author touched on a lot of relevant topics, I thought the content was too intense for teenagers at times.

It started off with much intrigue but quickly sizzled out and lost my interest. This is the end of the road for me with this series.

VERDICT


Award: Bronze
Rating: 1 out of 5 Stars
Source: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment