JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Sunday 11 September 2016

BOOK REVIEW: The Delphi Effect by Rysa Walker

The Delphi Effect
Author: Rysa Walker
Genre: YA Paranormal Fantasy

Book Description:
It’s never wise to talk to strangers…and that goes double when they’re dead. Unfortunately, seventeen-year-old Anna Morgan has no choice. Resting on a park bench, touching the turnstile at the Metro station—she never knows where she’ll encounter a ghost. These mental hitchhikers are the reason Anna has been tossed from one foster home and psychiatric institution to the next for most of her life.

When a chance touch leads her to pick up the insistent spirit of a girl who was brutally murdered, Anna is pulled headlong into a deadly conspiracy that extends to the highest levels of government. Facing the forces behind her new hitcher’s death will challenge the barriers, both good and bad, that Anna has erected over the years and shed light on her power’s origins. And when the covert organization seeking to recruit her crosses the line by kidnapping her friend, it will discover just how far Anna is willing to go to bring it down.

Buy Links:





MY REVIEW

I received a netgalley link for a review copy of this book and thought I'd give it a try. I liked the sound of the blurb, and the story was one I hadn't read before so I found the concept intriguing. The story got off to a good start, a lot of mystery and an intense situation for the main character, Anna. My excitement, unfortunately, waned after the first few chapters, and the story didn't reignite my interest. I tried to like the book, but it just wasn't able to garner my attention enough to keep me reading to the end. After giving it two attempts and failing on both occassions, I gave up about halfway.

I found the story neither visually nor mentally stimulating, and for the kind of story that was being told, I thought it needed to instil a more lasting impression of the characters' environment and the characters themselves. I didn't dislike Anna but I didn't care much about what happened to her either. For me, it didn't feel like Anna's story. Molly is the impetus of Anna's story. Without Molly, I can't see Anna, which I should be able to considering she's a gifted individual and it is, after all, her story, though that's not the impression I got.

There are a lot of topical and relatable themes reflecting the perspective of life in the foster care system. I think there's a good story buried within but I felt I had to dig too much to get to it. An interesting concept all the same, but the book just wasn't for me.

BRONZE

Rating: 2 out of 5 Stars
Source: Review Copy via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment