JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Thursday 24 July 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Destiny by Cindy Ray Hale

Destiny
Author: Cindy Ray Hale
Genre: Young Adult Romance
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: November 5, 2013

Book Summary:
Destiny Clark, a young Mormon girl living in Tennessee, is wildly infatuated with Isaac Robinson, the headmaster's son at her Baptist high school. When they're cast together in the school's production of Les Misérables, Destiny is horrified to find that she has to be publicly humiliated by acting out her true feelings of rejection onstage.

As their rehearsals begin, Destiny realizes the unimaginable: Isaac has developed deep feelings for her despite their religious differences and the fact that he has a girlfriend.

But will they be able to find their place amongst the backbiters of their ultra-conservative world?

Weaving around Destiny and Isaac's alternating viewpoints, Destiny is the first book in a series inspired by the characters of Les Misérables and explores heartbreak, self-discovery, intolerance, and love.


Buy Links:


MY REVIEW

A slow start. At times I felt like giving up as I found myself continuously slipping out of the story but then something would happen that reignited my interest and encouraged me to read on, but that was a rare occurrence. I'm going to be honest and say I didn't really enjoy reading this book.

One third of the novel felt almost like the focus was on defending Mormon beliefs and castrating the conducts of those of the Christian religion. It felt forced at times, almost as if topics were brought up just to state facts and prove a point about certain religious beliefs. I felt as though I was being schooled. The aspects of religion could have been executed more effectively so it didn't feel so preachy.

I have a short attention span and I'm afraid the story just couldn't maintain my full focus at all times. I
found my mind wandering far too often. I lost interest in the idea of a brewing romance between Destiny and Isaac as there was so much focus on the potential of a romance between the two that the story actually suffered. There were many scenes didn't add much in way of progressing the story.

Honestly, in the final ten chapters of the book, I gave up trying to find any form of a connection. I had high hopes when I first saw the book, but, unfortunately, it turned out that this just wasn't for me.

VERDICT:

BRONZE

Award: Bronze
Rating: 2 out of 5 Stars
Source: Review copy via YA Bound

No comments:

Post a Comment