JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Sunday 22 June 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Drawing Amanda by Stephanie Feuer


Drawing Amanda
Author: Stephanie Feuer
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Publisher: Hipso Media
Release Date: June 15, 2014

Book Summary:
Inky draws his crush for a game–and paints her into real danger.

DRAWING AMANDA is set in the under-parented, high-expectation world of a Manhattan international prep school. Fourteen-year-old budding artist Inky Kahn is still smarting from the death of his father. He thinks he’s found his big break when he bonds with the developer of a new computer game and snags a coveted drawing assignment, for which he uses his secret crush–Amanda–as a model.

But unbeknownst to Inky, the developer has a dangerous past, and is using his computer game to lure and stalk teenage girls. And Inky has inadvertently led Amanda right into his path. Blinded by his own ambition and sulking from his father’s death, Inky hides from the truth. Will Inky, with the help of Rungs, his cybergeek pal, discover the treachery in time and save Amanda before the creep ensnares her–or anyone else?


Buy Links:




MY REVIEW

The world wide web can be a very terrifying place, I do agree, and, unfortunately, the reality of that message is the full extent of the emotional connection I managed to establish with the story. It took me a while to get into the story as the pace was rather slow at the start. Given the synopsis, I was expecting more of an active and highly motivated cast of characters.

I also felt there was a slight neglect where the plot was concerned and it took a while to see a progression. Some of the topics presented in many scenes, particularly those centred around school, were irrelevant to the objective of the story. I could have easily skipped them without causing any disruptions in the story. Ultimately, my mind wavered, and although I was often tempted to put the book down, I continued reading in the hopes that I would find that spark I was eagerly searching for. I don't like to start something and not finish it. I might miss something. That wasn't the case with this story. I didn't find what I was seeking: a connection with the characters.

I never once connected with any of the characters, which was a shame as I feel the author presented a a cast of characters who had unique stories to tell. It's just a shame they didn't come alive enough to pull me into their world.

Overall, it was an okay read. It didn't arouse my senses, so it never felt real to me. It wasn't for me.

VERDICT:

BRONZE

Award: Bronze
Rating: 2 out of 5 Stars
Source: Publisher

No comments:

Post a Comment