JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Author Spotlight - ZoeCopeman



Camilla

Camilla Waters has fought knights, tricked trolls, and saved dragons, well in her head at least, but she never once thought she would be doing it in reality. All Camilla knows is a dull suburban life with her parents she barely sees and her neighbor, ok, somewhat best friend Josh. Cam is just your run-of-the-mill 10-year-old with an unhealthy thirst for adventure.

But all that changes when the crack in her living room wall starts to expand and out pops a strange old elf with a habit of cursing after every word she says. Without much regard for her safety, Cam jumps into a magical world she hoped to see in her dreams. There she must face not only her fears, but also her past as a great destiny unfolds before her…of course, that is if she can survive the Darkness that is brewing underneath.


               Wattpad  | Facebook  | Blog




Interview

1. Please tell the readers a bit about yourself.
 
Well, I am a college student with no idea of where I'm going in life. I suppose that's normal, but it is quite aggravating. I do know however that I enjoy writing, painting, traveling, and dreaming.

2.What types of books do you write?   

I don’t think I have one particular type. I enjoy writing all genres – besides maybe romance. As of now, I’ve been going by the statement “write what you know”, which in my case is Fantasy. I love daydreaming, and with fantasy, I can just recreate my dreams for others to witness as well.

3. How many books have you written?
 
I have not finished a single one – yet. I’ve been an amateur writer for 10+ years, and I have countless stories under my fingertips. I even got to 80 pages of a novel before scraping it. But my current work “Camilla” is hands down my favorite so far, and I promise I am going to finish it. In fact, I have one more chapter to write of my first draft before I begin my tedious, yet needed revisions.

4.     What movie and/or book are you looking forward to this year?
 
Definitely the next installment of “The Hobbit”; I am completely in love with the book, and I enjoyed the first movie despite its addition of subplots.  

5.     What type of books do you enjoy reading?
 
When I was younger, I loved fantasy and adventure tales that took me to far off lands, but now I’m a satire fan. Of course, when it’s satire mixed with a bit of fantasy or science fiction, that’s the best.

6.     If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you want with you?
 
 1. A functioning toilet 
 2. A sketchbook 
 3. Somebody who can actually survive in the wild because I wouldn’t last a week – not even ashamed of it, it's just the truth.

7.     Are you considering a sequel?
 
 Let’s just say, “Camilla” is the first in a series of six. Yes, that’s right, six! I’m crazy enough to plan that far ahead. And more importantly, I’m excited to write each and every one of them.

8.     What inspired you to become a writer?
 
When I was very little, I lived in my head. I would make up all these intricate stories and act them out. I have been to far off planets and back in time and on the wildest of adventures, and I loved it all. It was almost a natural transition to writing. I wanted to share my stories, my adventures with others so that I could relive my dreams and hopefully bring them to life.


Excerpt  

“Can I help you find anything,” said a croaky voice from above. A man on a ladder was arranging books. His liver spotted fingers slid down the spines as he whispered the titles to himself. “Ah yes, Exceptional Herbs and their Deceptional Cousins,” he whispered as he drew the book out. His straggly gray hair lay matted on the hood of his long red robes; the elf swore he would trip on them in a matter of seconds. 

The old man stepped down the ladder and placed one of the books from the teetering stack in his arms on the front desk. He then peered down at the child over his round glasses and smiled broadly exposing his yellowing, slightly crooked teeth.

“No,” the child said almost too quickly. It looked anxiously to the window. “Unless you have something that can make us invisible,” the child muttered under its breath. The old man smiled again and then turned his head in the direction of the elf.

“You!” He whispered, and the remaining books in his hands dropped to the floor. His smile had vanished.

“Me?” The elf said pointing at himself.

“I thought-“ the man began, “what are you doing here?” he asked.

“I’m sorry, I think you have me confused with someone else,” the elf said. He had no idea who this man was, let alone how he knew him.

The old man turned his head back and forth between the elf and the child. He raised his furry eyebrows so high that the elf thought they might merge into his hairline. The commotion outside was growing louder, but the elf could still hear Raas’ deep roar over the crowd.

“Do you have a back way out of here?” The child asked, peering through the large shelves that made up most of the back of the store.

The old man nodded as he looked through the curtain out the window. “We haven’t much time,” he said closing the curtain back. The old man turned to the child this time. He bent over so that his face was in line with Cam’s, “did you or did you not come here through a crack?” he asked. His clouded brown eyes looked the child up and down from over his glasses.

Cam stood silent for a moment. She looked to the old elf, but he had no clue what to say or do, he just writhed his hands. “Yes,” she finally whispered with her eyes still on the elf.

“Thought as much,” the old man said getting up. He looked between the child and the elf once more, “next time someone asks you that, you better say ‘no’, understand?” He looked very seriously down at Cam, the little girl nodded her head.

“Good,” the old man said retrieving his books and placing them on the closest table. “There is a back way, left at the tall stack of books, behind the old rune rug, see that it is unlocked,” he said to Cam. The child nodded and zoomed from where she stood through the shelves and was soon gone.

The old man sighed and rubbed his glasses with the sleeve of his long robe. “I hoped to never see you again Firi,” the old man said, walking towards the elf once more. “But it seems fate has brought us together once more,” he paused, “and who am I to question such a witty power?”

No comments:

Post a Comment